Regis College biology laboratories operate at a Biological Safety Level I. Biosafety Level I is suitable for work involving well-characterized agents not known to consistently cause disease in immunocompetent adult humans, and present minimal potential hazard to laboratory personnel and the environment.
- Laboratory personnel must wash their hands upon entering and exiting the lab.
- Research with these agents may be performed on standard open laboratory benches without the use of special containment equipment.
- Eating, drinking, smoking, handling contact lenses, applying cosmetics, and storing food for human consumption must not be permitted in laboratory areas. Food must be stored outside the laboratory area in cabinets or refrigerators designated and used for this purpose.
- Infectious material must be decontaminated before disposal, either by adding an appropriate disinfectant, or by packaging for decontamination elsewhere.
- At Regis, we require the use of personal protective equipment when working in a BSL-1 laboratory.
- BSL-1 laboratories must have a door which can be locked to limit access to the lab.