Legal dependents (spouse and children) of international students are allowed to stay in the United States on an F-2 visa from Regis College. Their stay in the U.S. is completely dependent on that of the student. If the F-1 student leaves the country for an extended vacation term or withdraws from the university, the F-2 must leave as well. The following information may help to clarify some of the liabilities and responsibilities associated with a dependent visa status.

Procedure for Bringing Family Members to the US as F-2 Status Holders

In order to bring dependents to the U.S., the F-1 student must show evidence of financial resources sufficient to support their spouse and children. As a rule, you must show a bank account with about $4,110 for your spouse and $2,050 for each child that you wish to bring to America.

The procedure is as follows

  • Fill out the I-20 Form with all information necessary under the “Visa Information” section.
  • Submit documentation of financial support for each dependent. Please follow the guidelines provided in the I-20 Form.
  • Within two weeks, the university will issue a travel I-20 form for your dependents to use to apply for an F-2 visa and enter the U.S.
  • Please be advised that the State Department Officer at the Consulate where your family will apply for their visas will also require evidence of financial support. They may have different standards that you will have to meet. The amounts listed above are requirements of Regis College, not of the State Department.

F-2 Requirements

A dependent on an F-2 Visa from Regis College must:

  • Keep passport valid at all times.
  • Check in with the Office of International Student Services and provide passport and I-94 information upon request.
  • Keep the I-20 Form valid at all times.
  • Abide by and adhere to United States law.

A dependent on an F-2 Visa from Regis College must not:

  • Enroll in full time studies.
    • Should a dependent want to enroll in part time study that is recreational in nature, he or she may do so after it is authorized by the Office of International Student Services.
    • Children may attend elementary and secondary school.
  • Accept employment or engage in business under any circumstances.
  • Travel outside the United States without reporting to the Office of International Student Services and obtaining a valid travel signature that is not older than six months