F-2 Dependent Information

General Information

Legal dependents (spouse and children) of international students are allowed to stay in the United States on an F-2 visa from Regis College. Their stay in the US is completely dependent on that of the principal alien. If the F-1 student leaves the country for an extended vacation term or withdraws from the College, the F-2 must leave as well. The following information may help to clarify some of the liabilities and responsibilities associated with a dependent visa status.

Procedure for Bringing Family Members to the US as F-2 Status Holders

In order to bring dependents to the US, the F-1 student must show evidence of financial resources sufficient to support his/her spouse and/or children. As a rule, you must show a bank account with about US $4110.00 for your spouse and US $2050.00 for each child that you wish to bring to the US.

The procedure is as follows

  • Fill out the I-20 Information Form with all information necessary under the “Visa Information” section.
  • Submit documentation of financial support for each dependent. Please follow the guidelines provided in the I-20 Information Form.
  • Within one to two weeks, we will issue a travel I-20 form for your spouse and or children to use to apply for an F-2 visa and enter the US.
  • Please be advised that the State Department Officer at the US consulate where your family will apply for their visas will also require evidence of financial support. They may have different standards that you will have to meet. The amounts listed above are requirements of Regis College, not of the State Department.

F-2 Requirements

A dependent on an F-2 Visa from Regis College must

  • Keep passport valid at all times
  • Check in with the Office of International Student Services and provide passport and I-94 information upon request
  • Keep the I-20 valid at all times
  • Abide by and adhere to United States law.

A dependent on an F-2 Visa from Regis College must not

  • Enroll in full time studies.* However, should a dependent want to enroll in part time study that is recreational in nature, he or she may do so after it is authorized by the Office of International Student Services
  • Accept employment or engage in business under any circumstances
  • Travel outside the United States without reporting to the Office of International Student Services and obtaining a valid travel signature that is not older than 6 months.

*Children: F-2 and J-2 children may attend elementary and secondary school.

David Crisci

Director, Center for Global Connections

Regis College International Student Services: F-2 Dependent Information