- Bachelor's Degree Completion
- Academic Affairs
- School of Arts & Sciences
- School of Business & Communication
- School of Health Sciences
- School of Nursing
- Academic Advising
- Academic Catalog
- Academic Calendar
- Accreditation & State Regulatory Authorizations
- Academic Center for Excellence
- Internships & Career Placement
- Lifelong Learning At Regis
- IT Services
- Institutional Review Board
Perioperative Nursing Program
Perioperative Nursing is an exciting and rewarding area of nursing that requires nurses to have highly specialized knowledge and skills to provide comprehensive care to the client during the intraoperative period. There is an increasing number of surgical procedures being performed on a short-stay or outpatient basis. Despite these trends, content and clinical activities specific to perioperative nurses have been virtually eliminated from most undergraduate nursing curricula while the complexity of surgical client care has increased the demand for perioperative nurses. Today perioperative nurses are sought by operating managers throughout Massachusetts.
This program is designed to provide Registered Nurses from other specialties and new graduate nurses with an understanding of the operating room nurse’s role and responsibilities. Participants will learn the theoretical concepts, principles and skills of perioperative nursing based on the standards and recommended practices established by Association of Operating Room Nurses (AORN). Licensure as a Registered Nurse is required.
At the completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Identify the role and responsibilities of the perioperative nurse
- Identify the components of the nursing process into the perioperative experience
- Apply principles of aseptic technique in the perioperative environment
- Discuss the process of disinfection/sterilization of instrumentation and equipment
- Describe aspects of safety in the perioperative setting
This program is comprised of 42 hours of classroom, 16 hours of skills lab, and 240 hours of mentored clinical experience. This curriculum closely integrates learning experiences in the classroom, skills lab, and in the clinical setting. The program content is generic and applicable to perioperative nursing in any facility or location.
- For course schedules, please call 781-768-7090.